Monday, March 9, 2015

City Safari

This is a casual, daytime on-the-go look.  If I wasn't going to the lab before or after class every day, I would totally sport this around campus and be the cutest 41 year old Sophomore that ever was at UTA.  I'd wear this to brunch, to run errands or out for shopping and lunch.

The shirt I've put in another outfit before.  It's the Amore than Meets the Eye top from Modcloth. $30. It skims the body, so it's slimming and the deep v-neck gives a long narrow line up to the neck, which gives the illusion of length.  The diagonal stripes going down toward the middle repeats that pattern creating a nice visual illusion that'll be slimming as well.  It's really a great looking shirt.  The downside to looking at this stuff online is that I can't say how it fits in person!  But, on Modcloth, one of the people who bought this in a plus size posted a picture of herself wearing it and in the photo it looks super flattering.

The jeans are going to be a little controversial... that is, if anything is controversial on a fashion blog.  But, I say so because they're a little high-waisted and that's not really the thing to do these days, but bear with me on the reasoning here... it has a double button at the top, and that, plus the high waist and the fact that the denim isn't the stretch kind help to smooth down a bit of a tummy.  They are the trouser style jean I've talked about, so they hit the hip and go straight down from there and are quite wide around the bottom.  It gives a nice illusion of length on the legs and who doesn't want to have nice long legs?  I have two pairs of these and wear them nearly constantly. Consider getting the "Tall" length as the petite were too short for me and the regular length were perfect for me, and I'm quite short.  They're sold by Woman Within  $20.

The jacket has that military style that's fairly trendy right now.  I also like that it's cropped, so it should end right around the hips, which helps with that long leg line.  American Rag Military Double Breasted Jacket from Macys $62.

The scarf is the part I really love.  It's where the outfit starts to get interesting, to me.  I love birds and I love wearing a scarf.  For a long time I loved the idea of wearing a scarf but I admit I didn't actually know how to wear a scarf.  But, do you know what the internet can teach you?  How to wear a scarf.  This scarf I found a couple different places, but cheapest on Etsy.  It's the Cream Bird Scarf from DaftDaisy $14. (it's shown as sold now, but I'm betting that one comes back.  If not, it's over at Modcloth for $20.)

The shoes are from Modcloth, but when I looked, they were sold out, but finding a pair of leopard print flats is easy as pie.  I went over to DSW and found a pair for $50.  Those are Dr. Scholl's brand so they're probably comfy, too. And the modcloth ones, if you like those better, will almost certainly restock.  I get the feeling they run their inventory pretty lean over there.  Animal prints can be way tacky, but sometimes a little tacky done the right way can add a lot of fun to an outfit.  Having a zebra or a leopard print shoe is a great way to add whimsy to your wardrobe.

The sunglasses are on Overstock.com Apopo Women's St. Louis Round sunglasses $11.

The watch is the Red SH Flower Print Round Analogue watch $13.

No comments:

Post a Comment